I was so thrilled to see that the church came out with this great Family Home Evening Lesson.
Some of you may be thinking, this doesn’t apply to me. I just have little kids.
The average age of first exposure to pornography is 8 years old!
Many are exposed on the playground at school or on the bus, by friends with cell phones. Or even playing at a friends house.
This video the church made is so great and perfect to watch with all ages of kids. Even a 3 year old could watch it.
Please watch the video and then share with your children.
Things I love about it…
- It talks about how our brain works and why we are curious and want to see it again.
- It gives steps to follow if you are exposed. Including talking to parents.
- It shows children of all ages that could be affected.
- I also love that it shows girls as well as boys. Pornography is not a boy problem!
Another wonderful resource is the book
I have 3 boys and pornography is something that I want to inform my children about, so they feel comfortable coming to me if they are exposed. My older 2 have been exposed and came to me. My 9 year old not yet, but I feel quite confident he would, as it is something we talk about on a consistent basis and without shame or fear.
It isn’t a question of IF they will be exposed. The question is WHEN will they be exposed and will they know what to do if they are? It is often from a friend who shows them, or accidentally stumbling upon it.
This is why I think this is one of the most important Family Home Evenings your family should have on an at least yearly basis.
Other good resources – for teens and adults
- When Children View Pornography
- Fight the New Drug
- I have a video of a class I taught in Relief Society about being a Warrior Against Pornography